The Syracuse Stone Railroad, incorporated in Syracuse, New York, on May 13, 1836, was granted approval by the State to build a road from Syracuse to local quarries in Onondaga, New York.
The road was chartered on the same day as the Syracuse and Onondaga Railroad which was organized for the same purpose and completed on October 16, 1838. The Syracuse Stone Railroad was abandoned before construction was even started and was consolidated into the Syracuse and Onondaga Railroad.
The Syracuse Stone Railroad Company was approved after the passage of two acts by the New York State Legislature on May 13, 1836, incorporating two companies, each with power to construct a railway from Syracuse to the quarries located southwest of the city.
The first act created the company „for a period of fifty years. The road was intended to terminate in Onondaga, New York at Benedict’s quarries; however, was never built.
The second act created the Syracuse and Onondaga Railroad Company for the same purpose. The goal was to construct a railroad between the village of Syracuse and local stone quarries in Split Rock, New York. It was completed on October 18, 1838.
The quarries were on land owned by Henry Benedict, a „well-known character in his day,“ and were called the „Benedict“ stone quarries. The land owned by Benedict lay on what was then termed, „the stonehouse farm.“
The State of New York also gave the road the authority to purchase stone quarries „as might be wanted“ for carrying on its operations.
The incorporators were Moses D. Burnet, Elihu Walter, Stephen W. Cadwell, Harmon W. Van Buren, and Stephen Smith, all from Syracuse. The officers acted as commissioners and were required „to open within one year subscription books and distribute the stock.“ The capital was $75,000 and shares were valued at $100.
For several months after the charter was obtained, a „sharp rivalry“ existed between the company officers and the officers of the Syracuse and Onondaga Railroad; however, they did eventually reach a compromise and the two roads were combined before the construction of the Syracuse and Onondaga Railroad was complete on October 16, 1838.